Friday, January 18, 2008

HEADQUARTERS! DIRTY POLITCIANS! AND BRAINWASHED VOLUNTEERS! OH MY!

In the past two weeks, I have meet volunteers in both Barack Obama's and Hillary Clinton's campaign and visited both headquarters. Throughout my journey, I have met some interesting people and some rude volunteers. I have found that when I had went to the Obama's headquarter it was more welcoming that when I had went to the Clinton's headquarters. In addition, when I went to the Obama's headquarter I felt it was more appealing to regular people as Clinton's headquarter had increased security and was in a the Grand Central terminal that seems more appealing to rich people.

When I first started getting information for my article, I had met supporters of Obama whom were getting people to register to vote. When I had met the leader of this volunteer group, I was shocked because she wasn't even a citizen and was supporting Obama to become president. I have also meant another person whom was encouraging high school students in the Harlem area to get interested in the election and vote if they are of age. Lastly, I had went to the Obama's headquarter and spoke to another volunteer and got free stuff ^_^.

But when I tried to an interview with Clinton... oh what the hassle! First, I had to call them like 10 times just to speak to a person and when I got to answer machine, I had got th return call like two days later and all the lady told me was to give her my e-mail address. Later in the week, I had called again to set up an interview and the lady I was speaking was stupid. First she was really hard of hearing, if she can't hear properly why handle the phones? Secondly, the lady was a monkey butt, as she wouldn't allow me to set up an interview because the under policy the volunteers cannot talk to the press.

At the headquarters I had got mixed emotions of both headquarters.

At the Obama's headquarter, I felt very welcomed. Everyone was really nice to us and allowed us to interview one of their volunteers. At the headquarters, they allowed us to take as many picture as we want and gave us some posters while trying to recruit us.

At the Clinton's headquarter we sort of had to "bend the truth" and keep certain "things" out in order to pass through security. The building was richely design unlike the Obama's headquarters. It seemed like the rent would be $1million a week. But then again I could be over exaggareting. When we got there, we had to pass through some more security, a big tall "body guard" type of guy that seems like he would eat me >_<. As we entered, all eyes went at us with the most impolite way. About ten minutes later, we finally got a volunteer who wouldn't even allow us to interview as he was not well equipped to answer our questions. He tried getting us to speak to high school volunteers but I had refused to interview them because I would rather to speak to an adult volunteer, plus this is not a child's magazine and I am not a child reporter... I only talk to the "big boys."

Overall, I preferred the Obama's headquarters because I had got more than one interview. I had found the Clinton's volunteer's rude and stupid. Though both headquarters were not fully aware of their candidates, I found the Obama's more informative and more friendlier to the people.