Thursday, October 23, 2008

My experience- so far- at Harlem Live.

Today was my 7 day anniversary at Harlem Live- yeah! Coming from Sydney, Australia- this is my third visit to Harlem. My older sister is a journalist, and I'm fortunate enough to be able to stay with her in this crazy city we all know and love- New York.

Everybody has been real nice and made me feel very welcome since I started here. From the moment I walked down into the 'scary' basement, I instantly felt a genuine warmth from Gisely. Richard, I can tell is a man very serious and passionate about his business, and Brad I'm still trying to figure out! (haha) What a great organisation Harlem Live is, I hope the youth in the area are grateful for the opportunities they have.

So far I have interacted with: (please forgive me if I misspell anyone's names!) DuShaun (aka gorgeous gangsta- had to get that in right?), Shantasia, Charisma, Stanley, Shem, Stephanie, Tamara, Italie, Warreth and Christos- (Sorry if I forgot someone!)

I have enjoyed helping everyone with their research projects, and enjoyed going to the youth hostel with Stephanie and Christos. Stephanie did a great job interviewing people and I know with more practise will not be shy infront of anyone! As for Christos, he took photos like a professional!

Today we went on a 'P.O.S' and thanks to Shem I now know all the tricks of the trade when it comes to getting people's attention! Italie- I can't believe that was your first time- I know you're interested in law- but you would definitely make a great journalist! Tamara- you seem so comfortable and confident, you just need to believe in yourself more, because I can tell you already get this industry!

Today we also did a very spontaneous interview with Charisma as the reporter- now here is a girl who has her head screwed on and is confident in her abilities. I can tell you're going to succeed in anything you put your mind to.

Okay. as you can see I'm a youth worker that loves to talk!

Thanks everyone for making my time at HL even better than what I was expecting- see you all next week!