Saturday, July 11, 2009

Memoir - Workshop #1



It was great to meet so many new people at HL on Wednesday. I can tell it's going to be a summer full of interesting and moving memoirs. I enjoyed hearing all of the creative six-word memoirs everyone wrote in class. This exercise was to show how POWERFUL words are. You can tell a story, set a mood, or start a mystery in just six words! Of course, we'll be writing more than six words as the summer goes on.
Remember your assignments for next week.

1) Blog assignment: Write about the first time you felt (surprised / embarrassed / pain / proud). Choose one of those items and write at least six sentences about it on your team blog. See if you can post a picture to match what you wrote. (Blog required, picture extra!)

2) Assignment to bring to class: Write down three ideas of what your memoir could be about.

Tips:
  • You're not writing your life story from birth! Think of one event or one experience you could write about.
  • It could take place over a summer, a month, a week, a day, or even an hour!
  • Think of things from your childhood, from 5 years ago, from last year, from this year, and even from this week that would make interesting stories for your memoir.

Bring the ideas to class typed or written on a piece of paper. Just write a phrase or sentence for each idea. Don't start writing your memoir yet.

Example:

Memoir Ideas

1. The time I was living in Ecuador, and I got locked out of my apartment and had to swing from a rope into the window.

2. The time when I was 5 and I got a cat for my birthday.

3. The banana story when I gave a girl a banana in the NYC marathon and wound up knowing her.