Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Voting Experience

So when I woke up this AM all I saw on the news were reports of the LONG lines of people at the polling sites. I knew I absolutely HAD to get some footage and make my mark in history by capturing a few bits and pieces of this HistoricElection (no matter who wins) What I didnt expect was to see the line in my Park Slope Neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY go around the corner!! It was 6:30Am and these folks were obviously trying to vote before they went in to work. The majority of them were in business attire, and either reading newspapers or drinking their morning coffee. Although the line stretched around the block, forming a complete C no one seemed to mind that they were in for atleast a 45 minute wait.



Yes, I am already aware the video is Shaking quite a bit. But hey, atleast Im giving you footage right?? Anyways, so after purchasing all the newspapers I could find (I want the before and afters of this day to record) I went home and had a light breakfast, thinking of my fellow Brooklynites (other New Yorkers and Americans too) and how inspired I felt to see such great numbers out to Vote, out to speak up and actually DO SOMETHING!! So I quickly got dressed and headed over to cast MY ballot, my voice and to leave my mark for the history books. (I hadnt planned to do so until later at around 11) When I went back I was suprised to see that the line had grew!!! But I was never more proud to stand on such a long line (and probably will never be again in my life! lol) Waiting on that line with everyone else was an exciting experience everyone knew we were all there for the same purpose, and we would all share quiet smiles with eachother trying to stop ourselves from jumping up and down and cheering for ourselves and the future. Alot more people than I expected were taking pictures, and a lady driving by honked her horn and pumped her arm as she drove by, excited to see so many people out to Vote. I took my spot on the line at 8:00Am and pulled the lever to the right at 9:00Am, and made history by putting my vote in for Obama..........small moment of silence to let it sink in........what it must mean for so many people around this nation (and the world) today, no matter what race you are, where you grew up, who you have voted for in the past, or where you are going in life, I am sure we all indulged in those few seconds of silence, of what was just made possible.

When leaving the Polling site I was even more amazed to see that the line had DOUBLED!!! I could only imagine what it will be like later after everyone gets out of work!