Thursday, March 19, 2009

The "college dorm experience" or the stay close to home method?



Hey! Everyone wants to go college and get the "college dorm" experiences but are they really prepared for the unthinkable, the unmentionables, the unbelievable, the drinking, the working, the loans, the ups and downs, the all nighters, the smoking. I think the most dangerous experience on the college campus is the alcohol drinking. Drunk college students are at more of a risk for an unsafe sexual conduct, rape, abuse, car accidents, death, vandalism, police involvement health problems and even suicide attempts.

Even though I know I don't have to get into these activities but it's easier then it seems especially to some people who are use to drinking on the weekends just to let loose of the everyday stress. To someone like this college drinking is just drinking after school. This is why I'm hesitant to take out that extra $10,000 loan so I can have the "college dorm" experiences. If 1,700 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die each year from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor vehicle crashes, why put myself as risk? But of course I can just as well die from a class room fire taking classes at a CUNY college. At least I can go home to the projects save my money, and work myself to financial stability. An education is only what you make of it. Private and public schools both have professionals, students eager to learn, and opportunities will open up to students who attend either colleges because they went out their own way and got educated in the field of the career they would like to go into.

So if you want to get that whole packing up your stuff to go to college, then traveling back and forth to see your family and gushing about your experiences then go ahead. Plus I heard at college you meet your most of your long time friends.