Thursday, April 30, 2009

"God is in the mix..." But, NOT for gays!

**Disclaimer: I am writing my blog as I think. I am NOT paying attention to grammar, etc :-)**

I'm sure we can all remember when then candidate Barack Obama said "I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian, it's also a sacred union. You know, God's in the mix."

Then, recently Miss California said "(marriage is) between a man and a woman".

As I was sitting and thinking about what I was going to write today both of these statements from both individuals (the leader of the free world and a ding-bat beauty-queen) made me angry.

It is hard for me to understand why we are STILL fighting this battle. Gay marriage, PROP 8, Gay adoptions...doesn't it sound oddly like the Civil Rights movement of the 60's. Recently, the news has been tearing with gays being beaten, struck down and mistreated.

Politicians WASTE tax payer dollars dragging this issue thru local statehouses and even in the US Congress. What ever happened to LIVE and let LIVE??

"God is in the mix..." our president said. Does that mean that God cant be apart of a union if I chose to marry a man or if I were female and I chose to marry another female? I think the notion that God is only on the side of heterosexual relationships is hog-wash! I believe that God is on the side of unadulterated love and commitment to clean, healthy, vibrant relationships.

I think it is FOOLISH of those against gay-marriages to say "Yes" to civil unions and "No" to marriages. The difference between the two is that a UNION is just for benefits (like insurance)- while a MARRIAGE (in THEIR minds) is all about God. Isn't a relationship with God an INDIVIDUAL relationship? I wasn't aware that religion was a "GROUP ACTIVITY" where everyone was graded based on who was the holiest or most righteous. So, with that thought in mind- Why does ONE group of people care about what makes ANOTHER group happy?

Perhaps, I don't know- PERHAPS this is just societies way of deciding who this generations "punching bag" will be. Or maybe this is just the "cool topic" right now... Perhaps, its OUR turn- the turn of GAYS to have their hardship. I guess if you look at history in this country (especially), every group has had their "hardship" (well, except the Caucasian male). Think about it...

WOMEN
BLACKS
LATINOS
JEWS
INDIANS
MIDDLE EASTERNERS (especially after 9/11)
and now GAYS...

I wonder what group they will pick on next...